Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

Annealing nickel cases

So picked up a mess of nickel cases at a show. Some .223 and some 22-250. What can I say, I just love the look of them.

I haven't reloaded nickel before, I usually annealed all cases that are new to me the first time I load them.

Annealing nickel or not? That's my question. And are there any other variables when loading these cases?

Thank you in advance...

Title
    Premium Member
    Personally, I try not to bother with nickel cases. I’ll load them, but I don’t worry about annealing or trying to prolong the life. Nickel is harder then brass an wears on the dies, dulls brass trimmers, and provides little benefit beside aesthetics.

I would think trying to anneal the nickel would cause it to oxidize, discolor and flake off.

Reloading...it’s like knitting for men.

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by xH8machinex View Post
    So picked up a mess of nickel cases at a show. Some .223 and some 22-250. What can I say, I just love the look of them.

I haven't reloaded nickel before, I usually annealed all cases that are new to me the first time I load them.

Annealing nickel or not? That's my question. And are there any other variables when loading these cases?

Thank you in advance...
    It's my understanding the nickel plating will become harder/more brittle if you anneal it. Generally not recommended with nickel.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk